Wednesday 26 August 2009

Further response to Tuxmachines.org, thanks for the clicks

http://www.tuxmachines.org/index.php?q=node/39077

I continue to get some feeback on tuxmachine but have been a bit depressed that it is nothing more than attacks on my own person, one person saying I was a "prat", having made the worst post in a year and questioning my very objective existence.

As of yet no one even came close to dealing with my primary question, which I continue to put out there:

Given that Linux and Open Source will produce much more rapid innovation in a business setting, and given Linux has been around 10 years plus now available for free in many distros, why does Microsoft still dominate the business computing space?

As I keep saying I like Linux and grant is is better right now than Windows and Open Source is a better model for innovation than Microsoft.  One would think that stating this repeatedly on a blog dedicated to my SharePoint professional activity would invite responses other than just flames against me. 

Frankly getting nothing but personal flames that ignore the key question of the FACT of Microsoft's continuing dominate of the business space is frankly depressing to me.  I love Linux.  Linux is my weekend OS.  I use Linux OS, Flock Browser, Open Office and GIMP.  Strange that someone who openly states his personal conviction that Linux is far better would be the target for bashing and flaming from a Linux group.

Well actually its not surprising.  IT suffers greatly from a Geek Gap with IT savy professionals lacking effective communication in to the business.  As there is really little effective testing or measuring of benefit going on in IT the internal IT industry is dominated by cliches and bullying.

But I am hoping, though I have given up on Tuxmachines.org, that someone might join in contribute further to the question: why has free, high quality, high stability Linux OS desktops not impacted the business user desktop community, the educaitonal market or even the home market.  Why did the local maplins in my area only sell Eee PCs with XP? 

My argument reamins, and remains mostly ignored in attacks on me and what my present job happens to be, that Microsoft brings a level of order to business decision making that reduces risk.

I wonder if the wizards on tuxmachines.org can even understand that this is a sociological and economic theory?  I am sure that there are some bright men and women over there.  Perhaps some of them might leave some comments.

Oh and I loved IBM and Fujitsu being brought up as case studies for Linux, now that is actually just plane ignorance.  These firms are far far far more involved in Microsoft roll-outs than anything Linux. 

Well flame on big gys.