Wednesday 4 March 2009

Job interviews, should I talk about blogging?

2004, during a job interview the interviewer thinks that they have seen your blog. Makes mental note without saying anything. Recommends you don't get hired because you blog and are thus a risk.

2009, during a job interview the interviewer thinks that they have seen your blog. They ask you about the blog (Provided its not about drugs, revolution or sex (2% of blogs)). They recommend you get the job because you are motivated and knowledgeable.

This is not a joke. When I was looking for a SharePoint 2007 role in 2006 recruiters all took the blogging information off my CV. I remember in 2005 sitting in a massive IT consultancy as the "senior architects" (ignorant old close minded arrogant fools) mocked the idea that they could benefit from internal blogging.

The blog has won the day. Not just because of its logical and easy structure, but mostly because people of knowledge (I don't dare include myself in this) have produced amazing blog knowledge

No comments:

Post a Comment